Since 1998 Mascom has been bringing to Botswana innovative products and services that have helped shape the lives of Batswana with technology.
This is our Journey:
– Within 5 years of operation, in 2003, Mascom launched Kwik Recharge, which is the most technological advanced method of recharging through the cellphone, and allowing for the 1st non-physical recharge channel.
– By 2004, Mascom was providing a 100% EDGE enabled network and to date remains the only 100% EDGE enabled network in Botswana.
– In the same year of 2004, Mascom became the first provider to launch Visa Direct Top Up recharge service.
– To position Mascom as a process oriented company, in 2006, Mascom received a Quality Management System (QMS) and Environmental Management System (EMS) certification, thus earning our license to operate by assuring our customers of providing them a seamless quality service at all levels of operation, and at the same time cognizant of the need to do business in a sustainable manner that takes into account the environment.
– In 2008 Mascom launched 3.5G and other innovative products and services like Dynamic Discounting through MyZone in 2009. To date Mascom is providing 3.5G network in the urban spaces of Gaborone and Francistown.
– Mascom became the 1st provider to partner with the Government of Botswana in a rural telecommunications development project known as Nteletsa 2 that provided coverage to 41 previously underserved villages. The project also included the creation of Mascom Kitsong Centers that provide access to basic services including internet access, recharges, typing, faxing and prepaid electricity. To empower local communities that the Kitsong Centers are located in, these centers are run by local entrepreneurs on a franchise basis. Mascom has expanded the Kitsong Centre concept and by the end of 2012 the total number of Mascom Kitsong Centres countrywide will be 61.
– Presently with a client base of over 1.5 million subscribers, and 54% market share, Mascom continues to innovate with the introduction of MyZaka Mascom Money, the mobile money service that allows subscribers to send money anywhere in Botswana using their cellphone.
All these services are supported by Mascom’s continuous network and IT investments, which will culminated with the inauguration of the Mascom Innovation Centre in Phakalane, Gaborone. The Mascom Innovation Centre is a 185 million pula facility which serves as the company’s main technical centre. It comprises of a state-of-the-art data centre, back energy centre and a three storey administrative building. The Centre is ensuring that Mascom keeps up with the future, and most importantly ensures that Botswana and Batswana remain key players in the Southern Africa’s communication landscape by enhancing Botswana’s position as an innovation champion in line with Botswana’s 2016 vision.
The first Mobile operator in Botswana to be ISO Complaint.